PPNA Happenings

Happenings, history and news of the Prospect Park Neighborhood and Ypsilanti

Ypsilanti Timeline

Ypsilanti is a small town of 4.2 square miles in Southeastern Michigan about 30 miles West of Detroit. Largely because of its proximity to Detroit Ypsilanti has had a very interesting history. I think you’d be hard pressed to find a city of equal size that can match Ypsilanti in its contributions to the world.

Pre Settlement

The City of Ypsilanti’s history begins with the Native Americans. Although no tribes stayed in the area or claimed it for themselves the Huron River was used for transit and the banks and clearings (Water Street and Riverside Park) were favored by the Native Americans as resting, burial and hunting spots. This area was also an area where many Indian trails intersected the largest being the Pottawatomi Trail that extended West to Illinois and beyond. Our present day US-12 is based on the route of the Pottawatomi.

Along with the Pattawatomies there were Chippewas, Ottawas and Wyandots or Hruons. It is important to realize that even before being removed there were very few Indians in the whole of Michigan. The best estimate in 1764 was a population less than 5000 in the whole of Michigan. It is also important to note that the 4 tribes of this area were friends of the French and hostile to the English.

Although Detroit was first settled in 1701 there wasn’t a white building West of that community until 1809. At this early time it was the French that populated Detroit and the French traders were opposed to settlements. The French relied on the woodland creatures and the Native Americans for there livelihood and knew progressive settlements would drive both from the area. The other issue for settlement was the turbulent times of the area. Detroit was passing hands between the British and the French and eventually the Americans. When you add native American claims and allegiances and a heavily forested frontier to the mix you can understand why settlers didn’t venture far from Detroit.

1680

French Explorer Robert Cavalier De LaSalle Canoed from Portage Lake down the Huron River to Lake Erie

1787

The Wyandot people were struck by Smallpox

1805

With the signing of multiple treaties and American advancement to the West the turn of the century found an area primed for expansion outside the boundaries of Detroit. The Michigan territory was established in 1805 with Detroit its capital and this started the post-Indian history of Ypsilanti. Probably the most notable event in the history of Ypsilanti was the appointment of Augustus B. Woodward as Chief Justice for the Michigan Territory.

 

1809

Gabriel Godfroy, Francois Pepin and Romaine LaChambre opened a trading post along the pottawatomie trail. It was in the vicinity of where Michigan ave. crosses the Huron River. If you are in Riverside park the trading post would have been positioned where you see the electrical transformers today.

1811

Gabriel Godfroy, Francois Pepin and Romaine LaChambre were deeded the ‘French Claims’ from President Madison. The French Claims totaled 2359acres surrounding their trading post. The Claims were divided into 4 parts the extra division going to Godfroy’s children. The trading post was a fairly crude structure and often had Indians gathered around. It is important to note that Godfroy was a very rich and politically powerful man in the Michigan territory. Godfroy, Pepin and LaChambre never took up permanent residence of the Trading Post. I speculate that Godfroy, Pepin and LaChambre set up the trading post in agreement with Augustus Woodward of Detroit as part of a land speculation deal.

1812

The War of 1812 — Detroit taken under British Control.

Survey taken of Michigan to give soldiers land for their service in the war of 1812. The Surveyor incorrectly survived Michigan as full of swamp land and disease. It is thought that the surveyor just didn’t do his job.

1814

LaChambre sells his claim to Godfroy

1815

The Trading Post burned and was rebuilt in a temporary fashion. By this time most Indians had been driven out of Washtenaw County that the prosperity of the business ceased.

1819

Treaty at Saginaw — The land that would become Washtenaw County forever passed out of Indian hands

1820

The Trading post burned again and was abandoned

1822

Eli Kellogg makes a land claim on the East Side of the River — The first in Washtenaw County since the French Claims

1823

Benjamin Woodruff comes to the area with some of his friends and families from Ohio. Woodruff came with the intention of starting a settlement and profiting from it. The settlement was named Woodruffs Grove. Woodruffs Grove was not the original name for Ypsilanti. Woodruff’s Grove was a separate settlement to the South of the French Claims. For a time Woodruffs Grove and Ypsilanti were two communities that existed side by side. The City of Ypsilanti is based on the land from the French Claims.

Oct: John Byron, his wife Sara and 5 children set out for Woodruffs Grown via an Ox cart from Detroit. The trip took 4 days, they were the first to arrive by cart.

1824

Alpha Washtenaw Byron was born — The 1st white born in Washtenaw county

Wild Animals were still very prevalent in the area including Howling Wolves

Indians would pass through on their way to Malden Ontario to collect pay for there service to the British in the war of 1812.

Godfroy sells the LaChambre claim to Hunt who sells to John Stewart.

Stewart begins to Plot a city

Father Gabriel Richard urged the building of a federal highway from Detroit to Chicago.

Walter Oakman 1st to die — Oakman was a rich Irishman all his land was given to John Phillips by the family. His body is now at Highland cemetery.

Malaria came to Ypsilanti in August, Mrs. Woodruff made porridge to be given to the sick.

Trading Whiskey to Indians was common.

Woodruff’s 1st 4th of July celebration with chief “Blue Jacket” and all the residents

Woodruff builds first mill

Fall and Winter were tough, the community (Woodruffs Grove) was poor, 1 oven in Woodruff’s backyard and 2 ‘mills’ which were made out of stumps to grind corn.

The first house built at the future center of the City of Ypsilanti was a shanty constructed of poles and erected by Stewart on the west bank of the Huron and just North of the ‘Great Road’ which eventually was to become Michigan Avenue.

1825

Joseph Peck buys 85 acres of land on the North side of the French Claims. This is the land which has now become part of the Prospect Park Neighborhood Association.

William H. Harwood — Purchased the land of Eli Kellogg on the East side of the River

Augustus Woodward buys Godfroy’s Claim and joins Stewart and Harwood to plot the city.

Congress commissioned a survey of a road from Detroit to Chicago which would pass through Ypsilanti.

Erie Canal Opened allowing emigrants to reach Michigan by water from Albany, NY.

John P. Kelly starts first blacksmithing shop

Woodruffs Grove became busy as incoming settlers multiplied.

Woodruff built a grist mill on the river. no dam needed because the current was strong

1826

First Distillery built (closed in 1849 because of the Temperance Movement)

500 Indians passed through during the Independence Day celebration on their way to Malden Ontario to get paid for their efforts in the war of 1812. They stayed for 6 days and put on a ‘show’ for the citizens who were scared of them.

John Byron built a saw mill

N/W Corner of Michigan Ave and Harris Byron had a 12 Room House / Tavern

1827

Money appropriated for “Michigan Avenue” but road was in terrible condition.

Bounty put on Bears and Wolves

First Sawmill built

1829

Ypsilanti was a land of drunkards

Temperance society formed by Reverend William Jones

Temperance society allowed light alcohol because total prohibition would have been impossible

1830

Pepin’s claim sold at auction to Andrew McKinstry for $684.00

Godfroy’s Children’s claim had been split between his 9 children and begins to be sold. None of Godfroy’s children every settled in Ypsilanti.

Stagecoach travel from Detroit started

Silas C. Freeman — a missionary who came to lead the fallen (he eventually ended up a drunk)

First brick house built at the corner of Huron and Woodward by Judge Larzelere after he bought Judge Woodwards claims

1831

The Michigan Settlement Rush started with 2000 people arriving in Detroit each week with the purpose of purchasing land and settling in Michigan.

1832

3 Stagecoach lines served Ypsilanti — Cost of 5 cents a mile

Legislation passed to make the settlement into a village

“Cholera War” — Captain Josiah Burton established a quarantine to keep people from Detroit out of Ypsilanti. Governor Stevens T. Mason decided to violate the quarantine and was arrested.

1833

John Stewart wants to name town Waterville, Harwood wanted to name town Palmyra

Name of Ypsilanti chosen by Woodward

1834

A flat bottom boat was built to test the possibility of commercial hauling on the Huron from Ypsilanti to Detroit. The expected cargo was 30-40 tons. The venture failed after a year

2 Sluices cut from the River. 1 for Mark Norris’ lumber Mill in the center of Frog Island and 1 fro the Flour Mill (Me and My Sisters spot on Cross st.

Single Men lived in rooms above the Oliver House (Aubree’s Saloon)

1835

The Chicago Road was opened

Shares for a railroad between Ypsilanti and Detroit began being sold

Bank started in Ypsilanti by railroad shareholders

Charles Woodruff starts training teachers

First Green House and Nursery farm — Ezra and ZK Lay

James Hutchinson built a house on River St. (Grandfather of Shelly Hutchinson — S&H founder)

Toledo War

Michigan State Constitution adopted

1836

Congress passes a bill that will admit Michigan as a State if it accepted the provision that the Northern Boundary line of Ohio would be that fixed by Congress — Michigan would get the Upper Peninsula in exchange.

Michigan holds a convention in September and rejects the proposal to become a state. Michigan then holds another convention in December and fails to invite delegates from Monroe county (the effected county in the border dispute) and accepts the provision to become a state.

One Wagon left Detroit every 5 minutes (most passing through Ypsilanti) during the 12 hours of daylight. As many as 2400 arrivers in Detroit from boats on a single day in May.

1837

Ypsilanti has 120 homes and a population of around 1000

Michigan Becomes a State on Jan 26 — The 26th state

Benjamin Woodruff dies — he had moved to a house on Michigan Avenue

1838

Railroad reaches Ypsilanti from Detroit (small wood depot) $1.50 – 2 trips daily, trip took 1 hour 45 minutes. Railroad was strap and rail.

First Newspaper formed — The Ypsilanti Republican

Ypsilanti Vigilance Society formed for the detection and punishment of crime (Secret Private group arrested 100 in it’s first year)

President Martin Van Buren came to visity McKinstry

‘Old Black Sam’ — 1st colored man in the city, he didn’t want any other blacks in the city and fought with them when they tried.

Ypsilanti becomes a place where loggers would come in the Summers after logging season ended. The Follett house offers entertainment like Buffalo Bill’s Wild West Show and Jenny Lynd.

1839

Rail opened to Ann Arbor

1840

Bar opened in what is now “The Tap Room”

No Bridge on Cross street only on Forest and Michigan ave.

East side had the railroad and a very busy business center. The West side only had the post office.

1841

Act of legislature declares “Village of Ypsilanti”

1842

First Black family to settle in Ypsilanti. Ypsilanti was known to harbor escaped slaves

1847

First telegraph dispatch sent from Detroit it went to Ypsilanti

1849

Michigan State Normal School Founded

Still took 2 days to get from Detroit on the Chicago Road

1850

“Michigan Ave” opened from Detroit to Saline as a paved toll road 2cents a mile.

Charles Woodruff revives “The Sentinel” which becomes a very well repected paper.

1851

Great fire at 1am engulfed the entire North side of Michigan Ave from Washington st. to the river.

Local boys became very enthusiastic over the Indian burial ground on the West bank of the Huron River between Catherine and Pearl streets and dug up artifacts. It was said that all homes in the village became museums of Indian artifacts.

1855

Underground railroad run by George McCoy Father of Elijah – McCoy used covered wagons with false floors to take the escapees to Wyandotte for boat passage to Canada. Other families involved were Leonard Chase (house on the summit of the Cross st. hill), Mrs. Eurotas Morton, The Norris Family, and the Prescott family.

1857

“East Ypsilanti” formed because of arguments between the two business districts and jealousy about where tax dollars were spent. West side needed a fire station and the East side didn’t want to pay taxes to supply it.

1859

Official Ypsilanti charter was approved combining the two sides again. The first four ordinances were: Prevention of animals running at large, proper observance of the Sabbath, taxing of dogs and building sidewalks.

Population at the time 5000

1860

Mark Norris Tor down the Great Western Hotel and Built the ‘Thompson Block.’

1862

17th Michigan Volunteer Infantry, mostly from the Normal College, fought in Middleton Maryland with Gen Ambrose Burnside and pushed the confederates back

1864

View Blog entry of notes from 1864 Newspaper here

Depot Town Completed

Highland Cemetery opened

“Normal Regiment” fought in the war

“Thompson Block” housed soldiers and Gilbert Park was used as a training ground

The Ypsilanti newspaper “The Commercial” started

1865
Check out my notes from the Ypsilanti Commercial for the Year 1865

Acts of Legislature officially incorporate Ypsilanti — Within the incorporation are a lot of laws against vagrants and drunks.

Celebration for the ending of the war — April 10: Some citizen commandeered a cannon on the city square and fired it blast after blast until it exploded.

City Mourns Lincolns death –April 15: 5 days after the war celebration the city of Ypsilanti went into mourning at the news of Lincolns death. Services were held on April 19th

1866
Check out the Newspaper notes from 1866

The Pottawatomi of the Huron, now numbering less than 100, moved to Athens, South of Battle Creek. After this, except for isolated members, no Indians were left in the watershed

President Johnson, Farragut and Grant visit Ypsilanti.

1869

Ulysses S Grant speaks at the Railroad Depot

1870

Elijah McCoy begins work on teh Michigan Central Railroad as a ‘Fireman’

1872

Rail line from Detroit through Ypsilanti and Saline to Indianapolis started.

Elijah McCoy gets first patent for a lubricating device that starts the term “The Real McCoy”

1874

City has very involved bands and operas

1880

The Sentinel paper evolved into “The Ypsilantian” bought from W.T. Woodruff by a Father, Mother, and Daughter and run out fo the basement office of a Downtown Bank.

1881

Charles Guiteau — President Garfields assassin was thrown off the train in Ypsilanti and found his way from Ypsilanti to Washington to assassinate the President.

1882

Elijah McCoy Moves to Detroit

The Ypsilanti Paper Company drilled a well to find Natural Gas and pure water for it’s production. Instead they found a mineral water stream at 740ft. –3 wells and 2 Sanatoriums eventually built to make use of the Ypsilanti Mineral Water which shipped as far as Chicago and the East.

1883

Cleary College Founded (2 students at Cleary’s School of Penmanship)

1884

The use of water to produce electricity begun, a practice that continues today and limits the flow of the Huron

the Sanitarium on North Huron between MI ave and Pearl

The Occidental House Opens next door to the Sanitarium

1886

Ypsilanti was known to have the finest flagstone sidewalks

1889

Ypsilanti had city water, telephone and electricity

1890

Water Tower erected

The ‘Inter-Urban’ railroad line between Ypsilanti and Ann Arbor begun. Early success was due to the large number of boys at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor and large number of girls at the Michigan State Normal School in Ypsilanti.

“Knick Knack Saloon” started — what is now Sidetrack

1892Park Improvement Society formed and Prospect park created

1893

Cemetery moved from Prospect Park to Highland

Ypsilanti Cyclone hits

1894-1895

Temperance Law enforcement battle — William Deubel elected President of the Law and Order League

1898

‘The Hermit of Ypsilanti’ dies — Charles Jarvis died in his unfinished circular house on Huron and Forest (where the DPW yard is now). It was said he suffered from a bowel disorder that forced him to stop working on the house and caused him to isolate himself, he was occasionally seen outside. He died on the same property which he was born.

Dr. Charles Chester Yemans came to Ypsilanti to remodel the Occidental House and make it a first class sanitarium. — “South of the Sunbath” is the hospital department, one of the best in the state and supplied with everything needed for modern antiseptic surgery. Yeman supervised heath at the Sanitarium. Yemans had no authority over management of the Occidental house which admitted guests with the DTs which caused Yemans to resign (Sanitarium closed for good in 1919)

1899

Michigan State Normal School changed to Michigan State Normal College

Street Paving Begun

Sheds (wooden awnings) torn down from stores on Michgan ave.

1900

The James Brothers Henry and Joseph of Windsor Ontario rent a room in the Shad Block of Congress (now E. Michigan Ave.) and Park St. and set up a gambling parlor called the “Ypsilanti Stock Exchange). 60 or 70 patrons would arrive daily on special inter-urban cars from Detroit. They were run out of town after a few days by Mayor Allen.

1901

Michigan Ladder Company Opens

Mark Jefferson – Arrived as head of the Department of Geography at the Normal College and personally oversaw the making of over 1200 maps. The Normal College became known as the “Nursery of American Geographers.” Jefferson died in 1949

1902

Cannon put in Prospect Park

1904

Lewis opens the “Ypsilanti Horse Exchange”at 54 East Cross in Depot Town. Once again patrons would come from Detroit and bet on Horse Races. The business brought patrons into Depot Town and didn’t cause trouble so it was allowed to stay open. On the floor above the ‘Horse Exchange’ was ‘Ma Bush and her girls of Negotiable Affection.’ Eventually the Governor got involved in 1911 to shut down the Horse Exchange.

1918

Beyer Hospital started, money donated in the will of Augustus Beyer

1920

Apex Ace Car produced in Ypsilanti

‘The Players Playhouse’ started

1928

Dedication of bust of Demetrius Ypsilanti — 7000 citizens went to witness the presentation. 3500 visiting Ahepans paraded for 2 miles.

1929

Ypsilanti to Ann Arbor inter-urban service ended

1930

Henry Ford begins manufacturing in Ypsilanti

1939

Train runs into ‘Sidetrack’ building

1941

Ford builds Willow Run with help from Charles Lindbergh

Ford Freeway established to bring workers to Willow Run plant (8000 bombers built during the war)

The ‘Tap Room’ is opened — Phyllis Dillers Ypsilanti Hang out

Carl McIntire, an Ypsilanti native, forms the ‘American Coucil of Christian Churches’

1942

Phyllis Diller and Husband lived on Oakwood in Ypsilanti

1943

Willow Run employed more than 42,000 people. Over half lived in trailers. There were 16 private trailer camps in Ypsilanti area

1947

Iggy Pop Born

1952

Douglas McArther Speaks at old city hall and given the key to the city

1956

Michigan State Normal College renamed Eastern Michigan College

1959

Eastern Michigan College renamed Eastern Michigan University

1960

The First Dominoes Pizza opens, it is in Ypsilanti under the name DomiNick’s.

1964

~ “The God’s Children Motorcycle Group” takes over a spot in Depot Town.

Iggy Pop plays with the Iguanas and the Prime Movers

1965

DomiNick’s renamed Dominoes Pizza

1966

Ypsilanti Greek Theater Opens at the EMU Baseball field

1967

First of John Norman Collins victims (The Michigan Murderer) found, it was Mary Fleszar she was 19

Iggy and the Stooges Formed

1973

City of Ypsilanti sues Little League Baseball to force the admission of a girl, Carolyn King, to Little League.

1974

The World Football League is started and the ‘Detroit Wheels’ play at Rynerson Stadium. Sadly, they went bankrupt half way through the season.

1991

EMU changes Mascot from Huron to Eagle

1998

Bill Clinton visits Ypsilanti and eats at Abes Coney Island.

2 Responses to “Ypsilanti Timeline”

  1. Dennis Nagle said

    There is an error in the opening paragraphs where it is stated: “Although Detroit was first settled in 1701 there wasn’t a white building West of that community until 1809.”

    Fort St. Joseph (site now enclosed within Niles, MI) was established in 1691 on the site of a French Jesuit mission which was established on the St. Joseph River in west Michigan as early as 1684. So there were white buildings west of Detroit for several years prior to the establishment of Detroit. Additionally, Pere Marquette established a French mission at present-day St. Ignace in 1671 which was later augmented by a military fort in 1683. That garrison was moved to Detroit in 1701.

    A more accurate statement would be “…there wasn’t a white building IN SOUTHEAST MICHIGAN West of that community until 1809.”

  2. Alan Black said

    More info on the 1893 Cyclone

    Town of Ypsilanti Swept by a Cyclone.

    Ypsilanti, Mich., April 13.– A terrific cyclone struck Ypsilanti at 7:15 last night; passing through the business streets from southwest to northwest. The residence of William Knizely was blown off its foundation. Curtis’ wagon and carriage factory, the business college, Draper Opera house, Hawkins house and several other buildings were demolished. Along Congress street, the principal street of the city, for two blocks signs and awnings were blown down and almost ever plate glass front on the north side of the street was smashed. On Huron street, the Laible block containing the postoffice (sic) and four stores were riddled.

    The roof of the building was blown into the street and several houses opposite were damaged by flying debris. Crossing the river the cyclone unroofed the residence of Jonathan Voorhees on River street, and blew another house off its foundation. Farther eastward Dr. Moore’s house and barn were overturned. The wind lasted ten minutes, and although the streets were filled with people only a few moments before no serious accident is reported. As soon as the wind subsided the electric lights were shut off to avoid a fire. The streets are filled with wreckage, fallen trees and debris of all kinds.

    YIPSILANTI (sic), Mich., April 13.–Almost the entire population of the this city is working the streets clearing away the debris, which remains as the visible result of last night’s cyclone. The leading streets are impassable. As far as can be ascertained today, no one was severely injured. The cyclone cut a swath two blocks wide. The damage done is estimated at a quarter of a million dollars.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

%d bloggers like this: